Monday, September 12, 2011

Appadam

Home made APPADAM

One of my favorite snacks is "Appadam",  otherwise called as papad in few areas. I have so many fond memories of making these along with my mom, sister and sometimes even  family, neigbours together we use to plan, make so many varieties of Appadam(papad) and Vadiyalu (Rice Fritters). I used to run go upstairs ( daba) to look if they were yet ready or not ....

Of all of the Appadam i love Sagoo Appadam the best, it tastes so yummy. After we moved to Canada, i used to miss the andhra style sagoo "appadam" so much, ofcourse there were different types of papads like urid dal( black gram), rice, potato, lentil, chickpea versions of appadams.

Some of my friends did not believe when i said i am going to make home made appadam ...As in winter time in canada you could have sun heat for few hours it was not enough for drying the appadams ..... i made the traditional recipe by adopting the microwave magic for drying .... Again after looking at my first attempt making these at home all by myself was very rewarding. Drying of appadams became so easy after we moved to Sunny California - every summer i do it for the whole year  ... before going to work i serve the appadams in keep them in sunny spot and they dry by evening.

I have also tried adding edible food colors to Appadams, they look so colorful.


Serve South Indian Thali with home made appadams!!!!

2 comments: